Part of Myall Lakes National Park, camping is available at the Broughton Island Campground.
Please Note: There is no wheelchair access on the island.
Broughton Island has been part of the Myall Lakes National Park since it was declared in 1972. wedge-tailed shearwaters, known locally as “muttonbirds”, nest on the island, as well as little penguins, close to the northern limit of their range. In November 2009, the National Parks and Wildlife Service declared the island free from rabbits and rats.
The tranquillity of the island is only accessible by boat. We know this beautiful area extremely well and can arrange longer overnight stays on request. The island is home to an amazing array of wildlife from ghost crabs on unspoilt beaches to seabird colonies on the rocky outcrops. We do Broughton Island transfers and pickups to the Myall Lakes National Park. We know this beautiful area extremely well as a fisherman’s paradise, this wonderful island has plenty to offer, with swimming, snorkelling, bush walking and camping at the Broughton Island Campground, something for everyone to enjoy.
Broughton Island History
Archaeology indicates that the Worimi people inhabited the island for at least 2,000 years, but their name for it does not seem to have been recorded. It lay within the territory of the Garrawerrigal branch (nurra) of the Woromi. “Garrawerrigal” meant “the people of the sea”, from garoowa=sea. Niritba was “the home of the mutton bird” in their language.
Broughton Island was seen by James Cook commanding HM Bark Endeavour on 11 May 1770: he mistook it for a headland and called it Black Head. After its insularity was discovered, it was renamed Broughton Islands, and so appears on the 1852 Admiralty chart. Providence Bay also appears for the first time on this chart.
Nearby Port Stephens was surveyed by Commander William Broughton in HMS Providence in August 1795. Stokes appears to have named the island and bay after Broughton and his ship, perhaps on the advice of his friend, Phillip Parker King, who was then residing at Tahlee in Port Stephens and had surveyed the coast in a private capacity.